- 2 deboned chicken leg chop
- 2 units large eggs (size A)
- 8 g salt
- 5 g ground white pepper
- 3 g garlic powder
- 60 g STAR BRAND corn starch
Mixture B – Coating Flour
- 100 g STAR BRAND corn starch
Mixture C – Gravy
- 120 g unsalted butter (for sautéing)
- 100 g diced yellow onion
- 100 g white button mushrooms sliced
- 100 g carrots sliced
- 25 g garlic minced
- 20 g STAR BRAND corn starch
- 30 ml vinegar
- 500 ml water
- 1 unit chicken stock cube
- 20 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 2 g salt
- 2 g ground black pepper
Mixture D – Mashed Potatoes
- 300 g Russet potatoes
- 100 g butter
- 100 g milk
- 4 g salt
- 100 g Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 litre vegetable oil
- Melt butter and lightly sauté the onions and the minced garlic until they are translucent.
- Add carrots and mushrooms, and stir continuously until the mushroom juice starts to leak out.
- Add in Worcestershire sauce and chicken stock cube.
- Add in 375 ml of water or chicken stock.
- Mix the remaining125 ml of water with 20 g of corn starch to thicken the gravy.
- Add salt and black pepper.
- Pour this into a casserole and set aside.
Fry chicken cubes with ingredients in mixture A and mixture B
- Whisk all ingredients in mixture A until well combined.
- Add the chicken cubes and massage them thoroughly.
- Cover with cling wrap and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and coat it with a thin layer of corn starch.
- Heat the cooking oil to 150°C and fry the chicken pieces till they are light golden colour. Drain on a wire rack for 2 minutes.
- Line the fried chicken cubes on top of the gravy in the casserole.
Baking the chicken shepherd’s pie
- Lightly wash and scrub the skin of the potatoes.
- Roast them in the oven at 180°C for 40 minutes.
- Remove the skin and mash the potatoes, passing them through a fine drum sieve.
- In a saucepan, bring the milk and butter to a simmer. Once the butter melts, pour the mix into the sieved potatoes.
- Mix them well.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes into a piping bag. Pipe the prepared mash evenly to cover the chicken pieces in the casserole.
- Once covered, shave a generous amount of Parmigiano Reggiano on top of the pie and bake it in the oven at 250°C until a brown crust is formed on top of the pie.
Yield: A Sharing Portion for 2