- 10 g whole cumin
- 7 g curry leaves
- 80 g corn oil
- 300 ml water
- 190 g whole eggs cracked and weighed without the shells
- 67 g coconut cream / cream
- 8 g squid ink optional
- 165 g ERAWAN BRAND Blended Rice Flour
- 165 g STAR BRAND Corn Starch
- 3 g chili powder
- 70 g sugar
- 15 g salt
- 30 g ground nori (dried Japanese seaweed)
- 5 g pati ikan bilis (dried anchovies granules)
Oil for deep frying
- 1 liter vegetable oil
- Heat the corn oil in a pan till slightly smoky and add in the cumin seeds. Followed by adding in the curry leaves and toast it at a low heat until they are lightly translucent. Then toss them together until you can smell the aroma of the cumin. Pour them out into a metal colander and drain the oil.
- Once cool, lightly crush the curry leaves with your fingers so that they can be evenly distributed in the batter later. Set the curry leaves-cumin mix aside.
- Pour every mixture into the blender or whisk it in a bowl until a smooth batter is achieved.
- Add in the curry leaves-cumin mix and dry ingredients into the blender.
- Followed by adding in the wet ingredients into the blender.
- Cover and rest the batter for 15 minutes for the flavours to infuse.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oil in a saucepan to 150°C and drop a kuih loyang mould into the hot oil for 5 seconds to heat it up before applying the batter.
- Once the oil is heated up, take the mould out and lightly dab it on a kitchen towel for excess oil. Dip the mould into the batter, almost fully immersed, but make sure to leave 1 mm space from the top of the mould so that the crispy kuih can be easily released from the mould later.
- Hold on for 5 seconds before dipping it back into the hot fryer to create a thin layer of crispy kuih, meanwhile, do not let the mould sit onto the base of the pan.
- After about 30 seconds, lightly move the mould up and down to release the kuih from the mould. Use a fork to gently remove the kuih, if necessary.
- Continue frying and flipping the kuih until the kuih crisps up.
- Remove from oil and let the excess oil drip on a kitchen towel. Repeat till all batter is used up.
- Let cool and keep in an airtight container.
Kuih Height: ± 1.5 cm Kuih Loyang Full Recipe